Friday, January 13, 2012

☆The Introduction-like Introduction

I shall now present to you a slightly more proper introduction~

Hi, my name is Vikka, I'm 15 years old (but I'll be 16 in March) and I'm also a sophomore in high school. I, as of right now, will hopefully be going to Japan this year, in 2012, as a foreign exchange student for my junior year of high school for a year.

Why Japan? It's hard to describe, but I know that I've wanted to go to Japan for as long as I can remember. Since I was 5 years old! I remember in Kindergarten we were studying the alphabet, and with each new letter we would learn words that started with it. When we got to "G" my teacher handed us coloring pages that had a portrait of a Geisha on it. I remember I thought she was so beautiful. I couldn't see her full outfit, but I loved her hair ornaments... She had the traditional geisha up-do, and the kanzashi flowers.. After that, I always asked my teacher for that same coloring page, even after we had moved onto different letters. After she stopped giving them to me, I tried drawing "her" myself. It... Was a major fail! ^^"

That information might not be as significant, but it's something I can look back on and laugh. I know that this "obsession" I have with Japan isn't new, but I've had it my whole life. As a child, I would always drag my mom into Asian antique stores, and Asian restaurants (the architecture is quite similar) so I could see anything that resembled Japan. I love Japan so much... I really admire how they are one of the most advanced nations, yet they've kept their traditional values. Here is a quote that I feel describes my reasons perfectly.....

"Few people in the modern world are not affected in some way by the ideas, culture, and economy of Japan, yet this country remains for many an enigma, and unsolved riddle. Westernized, but different from any Western country, Asian, but clearly unlike any other Asian society, Japan is a uniquely adaptable place where tradition and modernity are part of one continuum." -DK Eyewitness Travel: JAPAN 


I LOVE pictures like these. Just casual streets in Japan... The close-together buildings, the power lines everywhere above your head, the walls on both sides of the street... It feels cozy, and like home. I really like Japanese architecture. Even simple stuff like this:

My interview is tomorrow! I got a dress (it kind of looks like a modern twist on Greek traditional dresses). It's not too casual and not too formal, which is what I need for this interview. I'm really ecstatic! I found out that we'll be interviewed 2 at a time. My interview partner's name is Shelsy. I looked through the list of names, and to my dismay I don't know a single person from my school. My town is small, but my Rotary district includes several towns.

Well! This will be exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment